1.15.2012

Organization Overhaul

Well I've been a little M.I.A. these past few weeks due to returning back to school. This past week was crazy adjusting back to my school schedule, which consists of 5:30 am wake up calls and early bed times. Due to this, it's been hard for me to find time to actually post things to this blog. I think I'll be fine after this week though. There is one thing that I love to do...organize. However, I find that I can let my organization go if I get busy or I simply find different ways to reorganize something. One thing I did get a chance to do this weekend was finally organize the hall closet and our utensil drawer. Both of these had been "organized" before, but were in need of a serious update. I found myself simply setting things in the closet instead of putting it back in the appropriate basket or not wanting to open up a lid to put the item back. The system just wasn't working anymore. And if it's not working...go ahead and change it. So, that's exactly what I did!

This is most of the closet before the organizing began.

First I took EVERYTHING out of the closet and put it in piles organized by product (face, teeth, hair, body, etc). I also made a piles for trash and donating. Once that was finished I looked at baskets I currently had and baskets I had just found in the Target dollar section. From there, I simply put everything from one pile into a container that fit well and organized them to fit on the shelf. I think it turned out beautifully, if I don't say so myself.



The white mesh baskets were $2.50 and the gray and white trays (they were actually paper trays) were $1.00. The rest I already had. That means the whole makeover cost $12.00. Not too bad.  There were other white baskets for $1.00, but I liked these betters. Anyway, now I can actually find things when I open the closet door. I absolutely love that feeling!

The next makeover was the utensil drawer. I absolutely can not stand this drawer and was at wit's end with it. I could never find anything that I wanted and often avoided it at all costs. I can not wait for our kitchen remodel when I hopefully have more space. Here is the before of the drawer:


As you can see, there was an attempt for organization with the white baskets, but it was not working out! So again, I took everything out of the drawer and separated everything into piles, including a trash and donation pile. I decided that I would no longer hold onto things I had not used in a long time, just in case I needed it one day. After everything was separated, I put in my two organizer drawers that I also bought at Target. This was a bit tricky, as they were a tight a fit and took some maneuvering. I actually broke the drawer, well made it come off it's track, but it would not go back on. I had to call Tanner in to help out (which is huge because I hate asking for help). After about 15 more minutes (the whole time I was panicking that all my hard work to organize may not happen) the drawer was good to go! So then, I put everything into its new home. While I like it, I'm not sure I absolutely love it, but it is definitely an upgrade from before. So here you go, for your viewing pleasure...


As I said, it was a tight fit and is definitely an improvement from before. 

So, there you go...a little organization from 7907. What are some of the things you've organized lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment